Monday, October 12, 2015

Tian fu ai ni! - 10/7/15


Look at me, learning :) haha but seriously, the Ni Hoas eat it up and it's so fun. I think this is what it feels like to be a celebrity. It's a whole different kind of busy, taking Mandarin tours all day. We are slowly but surely getting copies of the Book of Mormon into mainland China. When they open up to missionaries there, it's gonna be glorious.

How amazing was Conference?? I had the privilege of attending the Saturday morning general session- SO GOOD! I loved All of it, of course. Elder Uchtdorf has always held a special place on my heart, and I loved what he said about starting where we are, and living the gospel simply to experience that mighty change of heart. He didn't say to K.I.S.S. it, but that's what I think of when I think of his talk- Keep It Simple Silly :)
And I loved Sister Marriott's talk- it will all work out. She talked about how the healing of our hearts begins when we submit to God's will... It reminded me that "broken things can mend," a lesson I've been learning and relearning for a while now :)
Long story short, even from that one session, and the few snippets I was able to catch from the other sessions, there are several specific things I'm going to be doing a bit differently to get my life closer to where God wants me to be. I hope each of you have your own goals to change and be better because of what the a Spirit taught you this weekend. :)

This week was glorious. SO many miracles. God is so sneaky, I love it. 

First of all, it was so fun to see you Mama Bear, a Big Papa, Scott and Sarah! I love you all so very much. I wasn't expecting that. I actually ran into a TON of people I know, and wasn't expecting to see, and it was quite the experience for me. So, here's a little shout out to all you little nuggets, you know who you are.

There were SO many members here to listen to the words of the prophets. I really enjoyed talking with many of them, getting to know their stories, and hearing their testimonies. It's such a special thing to walk through the Square during a session, when it is just littered with people sitting outside and listening as the conference talks are being projected over a loud speaker. Tender moments, to be sure. 

I'm so grateful for members who truly understand the importance of the gospel, and share it with everyone they can. I ran into Matt Smith on the Square, and that kid reminds me so much of Ben. He might be home from his mission, but that doesn't keep him from sharing the gospel. I love it. That's the kind of member I'm gonna be when I get home. On my honor, you can take that to the bank. 

One of my favorite miracles of the week wasn't even General Conference specific, but came in the form of a letter someone brought to the Square and gave to some sisters for me. It was from a young man I'd spoken with well over a month ago (honestly probably back in August) who was just struggling with his testimony, and was making some unsavory life decisions. Long story short, it was a thank you letter, and he is on the road of repentance and is now preparing for a mission! And I'm so proud of him, and excited that he's choosing the "happy path" because let's be real, God's way is the happy path. It was just cool to hear from him, totally out of the blue. And it came on a day that quite frankly I felt like I wasn't really fulfilling my missionary purpose. It was a much needed pick me up from Heavenly Father. God is so sneaky. 

So, as Temple Square sisters, during Conference weekend, some AMAZING members provide our lunch and dinner, and we get about 20 minutes for each. (Those people are incredible and I'm so grateful for them). Oh oh Danny! I met your old mission companion Elder Frampton? Luke. His name is Luke. He told me you were an incredible missionary- that you understood your purpose and you worked hard, and he felt that you were his trainer (although he'd had 2 companions prior to you) so... thanks for your great example, bro :)
Other than that, we spend all our time out on the Square talking with members about conference and their missionary work, lifting those who need comfort, helping people recognize God's answers to their questions, and explaining the chaos to tourists who have no idea what's going on. We are on the Square from 7:30am until sometime after 9pm. So much fun, so spiritually uplifting, and just so good.

On Sunday night, some Temple Square RMs came to cover Square for a couple hours so we could have a musical devotional by none other than Jon Schmidt! So cool! (If you don't know who he is, look him up, he's with the piano guys. Such a straight gifted musician). Anyways, he played for us, and all 5 of his children are also ridiculously talented musicians. They all sang, one of his sons played guitar, and they just filled the room with glorious music. My soul was filled with straight joy. It made me miss music time at Scott and Sarah's home. And listening to Sammy boy. Mmmm. Glorious. I wouldn't mind it if that little family visited us every week :)

Most embarrassing moment of the week award, outside of the normal embarrassment that just comes naturally to missionaries, goes to last Friday morning. Sister Lai and I did our personal and companion study on the Square, in one of the video rooms for privacy. We were probably like halfway through companion study (we had already sung a hymn, prayed, and discussed all the good things we'd learned from personal study) when some sisters come in and inform us that our entire time in that room had been on the intercom in the whole south visitors center. Whoever had put the little microphone thing away did it such that when the door thing closed, it pushed and held down the button to work the intercom.  Which meant everyone, guests, sisters, and President alike, heard us sing and talk about all kinds of Book of Mormon related things. Apparently sisters in the kitchen downstairs were just hoping we wouldn't have companionship inventory. So. That was an uncomfortable situation, but it's cool. I DO know my Father lives, and I'm glad everyone and their dog got to hear us sing it. :) no shame. I'm practically Ni Hao. 

There was so much goodness this week that I just don't have time to share it all. I love you all so very much. Jesus Christ is so good. Everything is possible because of him. If you missed Elder Holland's talk (I think from the Saturday afternoon session) go online and watch it. at this link: https://www.lds.org/general-conference/2015/10/behold-thy-mother?lang=eng

Make good, and choose happiness. There is so much to be thankful for. 
Love from temple Square, Sister Chamberlin

PS give Leo extra kisses from me this week before he hits his 1 year mark on Earth... and same for Holland next month... and also extras for River James before his blessing :) Thank you for being such good moms, you sisters of mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment